Internet2 BGP communities
Updated for NGI, September 2021.
Internet2 External Traffic Influencing Communities
International, Non-International, or FEDNET peers may send the below community and we will set their localpref to 460 or 560 respectively:
- Default - local-pref 500
- 11537:40 - Low (local-pref 460)
- 11537:160 - High (local-pref 560)
Connectors may send the below community and we will set their localpref to 540 or 620 respectively:
- Default - local-pref 600
- 11537:140 - Low (local-pref 540)
- 11537:260 - High (local-pref 620)
Internet2 Peers may send the following communities:
- 11537:2002 - Block prefix to commercial R&E peers.
Internet2 International (ITN) peers may send the below communities for path prepending:
- 65001:65000 - prepend x1
- 65002:65000 - prepend x2
- 65003:65000 - prepend x3
The following community combination of <CODE>:<ASN> allows you to block or prepend prefixes sent to individual international (ITN) peers. This is in the process of being deployed, once a peer has had the necessary configuration added, their ASN will be added here.
- 65000 - prefixes will not be sent to ITN peer’s ASN
- 65001 - prefixes will be prepended 1 time to ITN peer’s ASN
- 65002 - prefixes will be prepended 2 times to ITN peer’s ASN
- 65003 - prefixes will be prepended 3 time2 to ITN peer’s ASN
- 65012 - prefixes will only be sent to ITN peer’s ASN
- ITN Peer ASN:
- 2603 - NORDUnet
- 20965 - GEANT
Internet2 Internal Traffic Influencing Communities
Internet2-connected Gigapops and connectors with heterogeneous participants (i.e. not all are universities) may need to use these communities to help them pass prefixes appropriately to their participants. For example, connectors can pass all prefixes on to their university participants, but should not pass commercial or US Fednet prefixes to their commercial or Fednet participants.
- 11537:888 - Block to external (Internet2 uses this community to mark prefixes that will not be reannounced to external peers).
- 11537:902 - non-I2 R&E sites sponsored for connection by members.
- 11537:910 - sponsored educational groups (Primary state networks).
- 11537:950 - Internet2 Participants.
- 11537:2000 - Commercial research - Lab participant.
- 11537:2001 - Special Commercial prefix used for V6 or multicast.
- 11537:2500 - Block advertisement to international.
- 11537:2501 - International.
- 11537:3000 - FEDNET (US Federal Peer Network).
- 11537:3500 - Connector Only (Internet2 uses this to mark prefixes sent to connectors but not peers).
- 11537:4000 - RHCPP (Rural Health Network Groups).
- 11537:6001 - LHCOne Connectors.
- 11537:6002 - LHCOne Peers
- 11537:911 - Remote Triggered Black Hole (RTBH). Traffic to prefixes tagged for RTBH will be discarded.
- 65535:666 - Remote Triggered Black Hole (RTBH). Traffic to prefixes tagged for RTBH will be discarded.
NET+ BGP Communities
Internet2 has implemented a set of BGP communities that, along with your own local BGP import policy, will allow you to control your traffic path to/from the Internet2 NET+ peer networks. All of these communities are specific to individual peer networks and do not affect routing to/from the other peer networks.
- 11537:5000 - Internet2 NET+ Services.
- 11537:5002 - Cloud.
- 11537:5003 - SIP
- 11537:5004 - Amazon
- 11537:5007 - Code42
- 11537:5008 - Black Board
- 11537:5013 - ServiceNow
- 11537:5015 - DropBox
- 11537:5016 - Oracle
- 11537:5017 - Zoom
- 11537:5500 - Block to NET+ (Internet2 uses this to mark prefixes that will not be sent to NET+ peers).
The following community combination of <CODE>:<ASN> allows you to block or prepend prefixes sent to individual NET+ peers.
- 65000 - prefixes will not be sent to NET+ peer’s ASN
- 65001 - prefixes will be prepended 1 time to NET+ peer’s ASN
- 65002 - prefixes will be prepended 2 times to NET+ peer’s ASN
- 65003 - prefixes will be prepended 3 time2 to NET+ peer’s ASN
- NET+ peer ASN’s
- 16509 - Amazon
- 62715 - Code42
- 22556 - Blackboard
- 16839 - ServiceNow
- 19679 - DropBox
- 7160 - Oracle
- 30103 - Zoom
NET+ Routes coming into the Internet2 IP Network are tagged with one of the following city specific communities:
- 11537:249 Mclean, VA (Washington, DC)
- 11537:242 New York
- 11537:243 Atlanta
- 11537:241 Chicago - Level(3)
- 11537:245 Kansas City
- 11537:244 Houston
- 11537:246 Salt Lake City
- 11537:247 Seattle
- 11537:250 Cleveland
- 11537:248 Los Angeles - Level(3)
- 11537:253 Ashburn
- 11537:254 Chicago - Equinix
- 11537:252 Los Angeles - Wilcon
RIPCord (transit-ng) Communities:
- BGP community customer BGP routes: 396955:9000>
Internet2 Prefix Advertisement Matrix
|Non-International Peers||International Peers||Connectors||Commercial Participants||Internet2 NET+|
|Federal Peer Network||NO||NO||YES||YES||YES|
|Sponsored Education Group Participant||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
YES indicates prefixes from the network class in that row are sent to the network class in that column.